tag. How one brave blue jay took on the squirrels. Crows, Jays, and Magpies(Order: Passeriformes, Family:Corvidae). I couldn't find the nest so I bought a bird house and put grass and the baby in it and put it up in the tree. Place the bird in a small box lined with an old T-shirt and lodge it safely in a tree as close to where it was found as possible. Due to its slow flying speeds, this species makes easy prey for hawks and owls when flying in open areas. However, if a fledgling on the ground is being stalked by a cat or is sitting in the middle of a busy street, an intervention may be appropriate. Jays mostly eat nuts and insects, often delivering fat caterpillars to chicks in the nest. Males average slightly larger than females, but not enough to reliably determine the gender in the field. Diverse predators may prey on jay eggs and young up to their fle… baby blue jay in yard Yesterday my dog, Serena, found a baby blue jay. Blue Jays frequently mimic hawks, especially Red-shouldered Hawks. Clark's nutcracker. We currently have him on a heating pad to warm him up and are trying to give him some water. Blue jays are highly beneficial to other flora and fauna in their ecosystem: their characteristic 'jay' call warns other birds of predators, and their fondness of acorns is credited with spreading oak forests across North America. Blue Jays are medium-sized ranging in length from 9 to 12 inches. The wing and tail feathers are bright blue with white andblack bands. Your browser does not support the