How To Shed Those Holiday Pounds
The holiday season is slowly coming to an end. We have all consumed far too many holiday meals, treats and drink. It’s time to get back on the right track. With all of the holiday celebrations our Nutrition and exercise routines tend to take a back seat to family and social gatherings. With all the commitments it is easy to be consumed with the holiday spirit and neglect your health and fitness.
Did you know that an average according to www.myfitnesspal.com
– Christmas dinner that can include turkey, mashed potatoes, stuffing, gravy and broccoli can be up to 1500 calories.
– One Heineken beer can equate to 150 calories.
– There can be up to 158 calories in one holiday mixed drink.
– There are over 450 calories in a regular size rum and egg nog.
– Four Christmas chocolates can contain up to 280 calories.
– And a serving of everyone’s favourite baked macaroni and cheese pie can be as much as 381 calories.
As you can see all of the holiday indulging can really add up the calories and fast. The more time with family at dinner parties and the more holiday staff parties you attended the more time you have probably spent away from your regular workout and nutritional routines.
One pound of fat is compromised of 3500 calories. When you add up all of those extra calories from the holidays you can easily gain unwanted pounds fast. Spring break is fast approaching and the last thing you want is excess baggage on your spring break vacation.
Here are a few tips that you can use to shed those holiday pounds fast:
1. Hire a personal trainer and if you can’t afford a trainer try purchasing an online program from one to keep yourself accountable. Check out this affordable workout ebook: www.trainitright.com/blog/store or you can purchase online training programs from www.trainitright.com
2. Drink a minimum of 2L of water a day. Water flushes toxins out of your body and keeps you hydrated to avoid water bloating.
3. Lift heavy weights. No you will not get big and bulky ladies. The more lean lean muscle you build the more calories you burn. This will have you looking toned and sexy faster than lifting high repetitions of light weights.
4. Sign up for a Yoga Class. If you don’t like the gym try signing up for a regular or even a hot yoga class. Yoga stretching requires body weighted strength and endurance and it’s great for toning and flexibility. It will help develop long lean looking muscles and help you drop the holiday fluff.
5. Supplement Zinc. According to Dr. oz at www.doctoroz.com “zinc is an essential mineral in your diet. It also accelerates the activity of approximately 100 different body enzymes. Supports healthy cell growth and development.” This means that when you are deficient in zinc it can effect your body’s ability to digest and absorb your nutrients properly.
6. Eat a minimum of three meals. When you skip meals your body goes into a type of starvation mode. Since it is unsure when it will get its next meal it will store fat for later energy needs. Ironically they key to weigh loss is to eat more often. Not only do you need to eat more often but you need to eat the right foods. That means plenty of lean meats, veggies, minimal fruits and low glycemic carbohydrates.
7. Snack on good fats (nuts, seeds, avocados). These foods are high in good fats and your body will use them for energy instead of storing them. This foods are also high in satiety which means that they keep you fuller longer.
8. Take a protein supplement post workout. Supplementing protein helps rebuild muscle and aids in recovery so you can work out at a high intensity for your next workout without muscle soreness. Also a diet higher I’m protein has been shown to lead to fat loss and better muscle toning.
9. Get 7-8 hours of sleep a night. Without proper sleep your body will have higher levels of the hormone cortisol. This hormone causes fat storage in your body and the target area is usually your midsection. Avoid this by getting proper sleep and make your sleeping times habitual.
10. Eliminate stresses in your life. Stress causes many adverse effects in the mody. One can be weight gain. If you eliminate stresses the more time you have to focus on your health and fitness and the less likely your body is to hold on to those excess pounds that you may have gained over the holidays.