If you were tuned into the 2018 Oscars last night (March 4), you witnessed a powerful performance of “Stand Up For Something” by Andra Day and Common. The musicians were joined on stage by 10 activists from around the world, who are each advocating to bring awareness to different political and social issues.
“I am truly honored to share the stage with such powerful people. People who work, sacrifice and have fought through their personal pain to make the world a better place,” Andra says in a statement. “Everyone’s contribution is important, but Common and I wanted to show people who are working everyday in the trenches to transform perceptions, circumstances, legislation, social and political landscapes, and bring hope to the hopeless.”
Black Lives Matter, #MeToo movement, and the 2012 Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting are just a few of the campaigns calling for change, especially in a world where so much change is needed. Meet the 10 activists below.
1. Alice Brown Otter – Standing Rock Activist
2. Bana Alabed – Syrian Refugee & Activist
3. Bryan Stevenson – Equal Justice Initiative
4. Cecile Richards – Planned Parenthood
5. Dolores Huerta – Dolores Huerta Foundation, United Farm Workers of America
6. Janet Mock – Writer & Trans Activist
7. José Andrés – World Central Kitchen (Serving Meals In Puerto Rico Since Hurricane Maria)
8. Nicole Hockley – Sandy Hook Promise
9. Patrisse Cullors – Black Lives Matter
10. Tarana Burke – “Founder of Me Too Movement”